|Welcome to the Australia & New Zealand Photobook Award hosted by Momento Pro. The Award celebrates excellence, originality and 'fitness for purpose' in photo book creation, while the cash and print prizes help local artists produce publications and progress their photographic career. Since 2011 prizes valued at $127,000 have been distributed to 145 finalists whose work has been showcased in a travelling exhibition, and in print catalogues that are distributed to photo book communities, critics, and media across the world.
Visit our gallery to see more of the past winners, and for more photo book inspiration and information follow the Award's Instagram feed and subscribe to our newsletter.
- 15 November 2019 - Entries open
- 15 January 2020 - Entries close
The 2019 Award series has a prize pool valued at $10,000. See Prize Terms & Conditions below.
- Photobook Winner: $2,000 Momento Pro print credit
- Student Winner: $1,500 Momento Pro print credit
- Photobook Commended: $1,000 Momento Pro print credit
- Student Commended: $750 Momento Pro print credit
- Finalists: $500 Momento Pro print credit for up to 8 entries
- People's Choice: $750 Momento Pro print credit
Judging & Criteria
The judges are experts in photography, picture editing, publication design and photobook production, who review the digital and physical books to assess the:
The judging panel consists of Australian and New Zealand based judges, and one international judge. The international judge reviews the digital files only and participates in the physical judging via video.
- Excellence of the photography, design, layout, typography and cover art
- Quality of the photo editing and sequencing to create an engaging visual narrative
- Originality of the concept and design
- Ability of any additional imagery, text or ephemera to enhance the story in the photographs and/or book
- Appropriateness of photography, design and format for the book's intended purpose and audience
Due to the small and close knit antipodean photobook community, some judges may have an association with an entry. The Judging Chair and Award Coordinator will ensure that judges are unable to score or comment on entries they have an association with.
The People’s Choice Award goes to the finalist who receives the most votes from visitors to the finalist exhibition.
Judging Chair: Ann Shelton
Massey University, Te Kunenga Ki Purehuroa, University of New Zealand
Ann is an internationally recognised photo artist, and Honorary Research Fellow in Photography at Whiti o Rehua School of Art. Her work comprises large-scale, hyper-real photographic works and her most recent research engages with plant narratives and histories. Her first solo exhibition in the US, Jane Says was presented at Denny Dimin Gallery, New York in 2019, while her past work In A Forest has been shown in London, Berlin and Spain. She has also published several photo books including: Dark Matter, A Library To Scale, Redeye, A New Skin and Room Room. Shelton has a BFA from Elam School of Fine Arts, Auckland University, and an MFA from the University of British Columbia.
Ángel Luis Gonzalez Fernandez
Founder & CEO of Photo Ireland
The PhotoIreland Foundation is dedicated to stimulating a critical dialogue around photography in Ireland and to internationally promoting the work of Irish-based artists. The Foundation hosts the PhotoIreland Festival every July, and runs The Library Project, a bookshop, gallery and resource housing 2500+ photo books from 250 publishers worldwide. Ángel won the David Manley Entrepreneur Award in 2011 for the PhotoIreland Festival project and has been a portfolio reviewer at Les Rencontres d'Arles, Format Derby and PhotoEspaña.
Picture Editor, Creative Director & Producer (Australia)
Born in San Francisco, Rachel has lived and worked in Sydney and in New York, as a photography editor, curator, teacher, advisor, and producer. After graduating from Sydney College of The Arts in 1984 she worked for a picture book publisher and photographers' agency. She moved to New York in 1990 and worked as the Director of Photography at Rolling Stone Magazine (NY), with photographers including Mary Ellen Mark, Mark Seliger, Peter Lindbergh, Dan Winters, Herb Ritts and David Lachapelle. She now lives in Sydney, freelancing on photography and film projects, and teaching for the Australian Centre for Photography. Rachel recently put together the Art for The Wilderness auction.
Head of Publishing, Penguin Random House NZ
With over 18 years’ experience in the ANZ book trade, Claire has a passion for non-fiction and illustrated books, including biography and memoir, history, Māori and Pasifika, art, design and photography. Her past roles include picture researcher at Sydney's The Photolibrary, Publisher at Te Papa Press, and more recently, product and audience development leader at Radio New Zealand. She has worked closely with senior cultural leaders, journalists and artists, to bring their stories to life and has, "refreshing and progressive ideas for local publishing." Claire is also the training and development liaison for the Publishers Association of New Zealand.
Founder/Creative Director, Bundy Agency
Scott has a passion for photography that tells a story and communicates a strong message. For over 30 years, he has worked with some of Australia’s finest commercial, fashion and portrait photographers. His has been photographing since the age of 21, and since then has guided major shoots for BMW, Australian Cricket, Qantas, The Australian Formula One Grand Prix and Australian Defence Force. Working in advertising, digital and design, Scott brings a different set of eyes to the judging panel.
Momento Pro is the proud patron of the Australian and New Zealand Photobook of the Year Awards, and Australia's first and and finest on-demand photobook company since 2004. We produce premium hardcover and softcover books, as well as booklets and personalised stationery, to international award-winning standards and in quantities of one up to 250 copies. We actively support the local photo book community through these Awards, hosting Photobook Reviews and self-publishing workshops, connecting photographers with editors, designers and publishers, and with practical publishing guides. To find out more or ask for advice visit our online homes at momentopro.com.au or momentopro.co.nz.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
How to enter
1. Register your entry online by 11:59:59pm AEST on 15 January 2020 including the:
2. Submit a physical copy by 15 January 2020 to one of the addresses below.
- Upload of a low-resolution PDF book file (less than 200MB).
- Upload of a cover image in JPEG format (or first page if there is no cover design)
- Payment of an Entry Fee (if required)
- If you experience upload issues click here
The package must be addressed to Photobook Awards c/o Momento Pro and include a copy of the Registration Form.
New Zealand residents
- By Post: PO Box 140, Strawberry Hills NSW 2012
- By Courier: 15-17 Merton St, Zetland NSW 2017
- By Post: PO Box 24 111 Manners St, Wellington 6011
- By Courier: 102-108 Wakefield St, Te Aro, Wellington 6011
- Australian resident: AUD $35.00 inc GST
- New Zealand resident: AUD $34.00 GST not applicable
- Australian or New Zealand resident: No entry fee required
- Must be a publication that focuses on photographic content presented in a visual narrative
- Can be printed via any method or service
- Can be unpublished, self published, trade published or published by an academic or cultural institution
- Does not require an ISBN
- Can include work by one or more photographers, who meet all entrant requirements outlined below
- Can include found images as long as they meet all other terms and conditions
- Must not infringe copyright, breach any laws or violate third party rights
- Must have been published or the design completed between 1 Jan 2018 and 31 Dec 2019
- Must be submitted as a digital PDF file compatible with the requirements outlined below, and as a physical copy
- Must not have been entered into previous Australian or New Zealand Photobook Of The Year Awards
- Books will be returned to non-finalists who include a prepaid, self-addressed envelope with their book submission
- Winner and finalist books will remain in the Award archives for public access and exhibition
- We do not accept responsibility for damaged books or books lost in transit
- Must be the photographer or publisher of the book
- Must own the copyright or provide written copyright permission on request
- Must register online, submit a digital file and physical book according to specifications in the How To Enter section
- Must agree to be added to the Awards and Momento Pro email list
- Must grant permission for the book to appear in digital and print promotions of the Awards
- Must indemnify Momento against any and all claims by third parties relating to a violation of intellectual property rights as a result of entering this competition, and bear all costs arising from such a breach, including any damages
- If selected as a finalist:
- Must grant permission for the book to appear in digital and print promotions for the Awards
- Must be able to provide a 60 second video compatible with our specifications, for showcasing online and during the exhibition
- Must approve the inclusion of a double page spread from the finalist book to be printed by Momento Pro and hung in the exhibition
Photobook Category Entrant Requirements
- Must be a citizen, permanent resident or registered company in Australia or New Zealand
- Must pay the entry fee
Student Category Entrant Requirements
- Students can enter either the Photobook or Student category but not both
- Must have studied at an Australian or New Zealand institution
- There is no entry fee for the Student category
- Must have published or completed the design of the photo book while enrolled as a student between 1 Jan 2018 and 31 Dec 2019 at:
- An Australian or New Zealand university
- An Australian TAFE institute or Registered Training Organisation
- A New Zealand university, Private Training Establishment (PTE) or Institute of Technology & Polytechnics (ITP)
- International students are eligible to enter, provided they meet the criteria above
- Photobook prizes can only be awarded to an entrant of the Photobook category
- Student prizes can only be awarded to an entrant of the Student category
- Finalists will be selected from Photobook and Student category entrants
- Student and Photobook winners are not eligible to receive the Finalist credit prize
- The People’s Choice award is selected from the finalists, and goes to the book with the most votes from visitors to the Award exhibition
- Finalists will be exhibited in the Award exhibition, catalogue and on the website
- Prizes will be awarded to the entrant as listed in the entry form
- The photographer must be the person who physically captured the images
The print credit value:
- Is in AUD or NZD depending on the winner's country of residence
- Can only be used for printing work created by the photographer or publisher
- Expires 18 months after written notification
- Is non-transferable, not redeemable for cash, and cannot be combined with any other Momento Pro discount
- Can be used to purchase books, booklets, albums, boxes or stationery in the Momento Pro print-on-demand, standard volume range or an approved custom order
- Winner must register with the Momento Pro service within 30 days to allow for the credit to be added to their account
- Works printed using the credit prize can:
- Only be produced by Momento Pro Australia
- Only be delivered to Australian or New Zealand addresses
- Be included in Award and Momento Pro promotions
How do the Awards define a 'photobook'?
A photobook is a publication that focuses on photographic content presented in a visual narrative.
Does the book need to be previously published?
No. The book can be unpublished, self published, trade published, or published via an academic or cultural institution.
Does the book need an ISBN?
No, an International Standard Book Number is not required.
Can the book be published overseas?
Yes, as long as the photographer is an Australian or New Zealand citizen, resident or student at the time of publishing.
What format is required for the digital book file?
A low-resolution PDF less than 200MB. Individual JPEG files will not be accepted.
What if you experience issues uploading your file via the Entry Registration form?
Submit your file via our Hightail account instead, including "ANZPA entry," your name and book title in the Message field, then email email@example.com.
Is a physical copy of the book required?
Yes. You must submit a physical book. The book can be printed via any print service or process.
Does the book need to be printed by Momento Pro?
No. It can be printed via any method or service. Should you wish to print a copy with Momento Pro a 30% discount is available for Award entries. Orders must be placed by phone before 5.00pm AEST on 15 January 2020 (Australia) or 5.00pm Wellington time (New Zealand). Details and due dates are listed below.
Can the book include images by more than one photographer?
Yes. Photobooks including work by multiple photographers are eligible but details of all photographer credits must be entered in to the Entry Form and all photographers must meet the Entrant Requirements listed above.
Can the book include found or archival imagery?
Yes, as long as they meet all terms and conditions listed above.
Is there an entry fee?
Yes, there is an entry fee for entrants to the Photobook category. There is no entry fee for entrants to the Student category. Entry fee revenue will assist with the administration of the Awards.
Can international students enter?
Yes, if they were enrolled at an Australian or New Zealand institution between 1 Jan 2018 and 31 Dec 2019, and meet the Student Category Entrant requirements.
Can I submit more than one book?
Yes, you can submit up to three books.
Will I receive feedback on my book?
No. Due to the number of entries we’re unable to provide feedback on every entry.
Will my book be returned?
This is an acquisitive award. Books will be returned to non-finalists who include a prepaid, self-addressed envelope with their book submission. Winner and finalist books will remain in the Award archives for public access and exhibition. We also encourage entrants to submit a copy to the Asia Pacific Photobook Archive.
Momento Pro book discount
Entries can be printed via any method or service. Should you wish to print a copy with Momento Pro, we offer a 30% discount on books that are entered into the Awards. This applies to books from our standard Momento Pro book range. Custom orders are also eligible for a discount but a quote is required first.
Orders must be placed by phone with our Volume Order Manager in Australia or by our service representative in New Zealand before 5.00pm on 15 January 2020 (AEST in Australia or Wellington time in New Zealand).
Orders will not require payment for delivery as the finished book will be submitted directly to the Awards. Should you wish to view your book prior to submission you will need to order by 5 January 2020 and pay for delivery.