|Welcome to the Australia & New Zealand Photobook Award, the offspring of the Australian, and New Zealand, Photobook of the Year Awards. The Awards celebrate excellence, originality and 'fitness for purpose' in photo book creation, while the cash and print prizes help local artists produce and promote their publications. Since 2011 prizes valued at $100,000 have been distributed to 120 finalists whose work has been showcased in an exhibition and print catalogue to photo book communities, critics, and media across the world.
The winners will be announced on Saturday 16 March at the Centre for Contemporary Photography in Fitzroy, Melbourne. The exhibition will also run from Thursday 14 to Sunday 17 March. We'd love you to join us and cast your People's Choice vote so please RSVP via our Facebook Event Page, and don't miss our finalist showcase on Instagram.
CONGRATULATIONS to our 12 finalists selected from 119 entries:
- Craigieburn, its not the same by Yask Desai [Student, AU]
- Dream State by Stavros Messinis [Photobook, AU]
- Huon by Noah Thompson [Photobook, AU]
- I Want This Life and Another by Robyn Daly [Photobook, AU]
- Image Ecologies by James Farley & Jacob Raupach [Photobook, AU]
- Living with AIDS (1988) by Fiona Clark & Michael Lett [Photobook, NZ]
- Permission To Belong by Tammy Law [Photobook, AU]
- ROYGBIV by Kira Sampurno [Student, NZ]
- Second Sight by Sarah Walker & Perimeter Books [Photobook, AU]
- Six for Gold by Jake Mein & Bad News Books [Student, NZ]
- The Tensile Strength of a Heartstring by Hannah Rose Arnold [Photobook, NZ]
- The Winter Garden by Christine McFetridge, Bad News Books & M.33 [Photobook, NZ]
- 1 November 2018 - Entries open
- 17 December 2018 - Digital file submission
- 17 January 2019 - Printed book submission
The 2018 Award series has a prize pool valued at $13,500. See Prize Terms & Conditions below.
- Photobook Winner: $1,000 cash + $3,000 Momento Pro print credit
- Student Winner: $500 cash + $1,500 Momento Pro print credit
- Photobook Commended: $1,000 Momento Pro print credit
- Student Commended: $500 Momento Pro print credit
- Finalists: $500 Momento Pro print credit for up to 8 entries
- People's Choice: $500 cash + $1,500 Momento Pro print credit
The judges are experts in photography, picture editing, publication design and photobook production, who review the digital and physical books to assess the:
The People’s Choice Award goes to the finalist who receives the most votes from visitors to the finalist exhibition.
- Excellence of the photography, design, layout, typography and cover art
- Quality of the photo editing and sequencing to create an engaging visual narrative
- Originality of the concept and design
- Ability of any additional imagery, text or ephemera to enhance the story in the photographs and/or book
- Appropriateness of photography, design and format for the book's intended purpose and audience
The judging panel consists of a Judging Chair, two judges from Australia, two judges from New Zealand, and one international judge. The Judging Chair role alternates annually between Australia and New Zealand. The judges review both the digital file and the physical book, with the exception of the international judge who reviews the digital file only and participates in the physical judging via video.
- Judging Chair: Heidi Romano of Unless You Will, AU (read bio)
- International Judge: Teun van der Heijden, Heijdens Karwai, The Netherlands (read bio)
- Kriselle Baker of Baker Douglas Publishing, NZ (read bio)
- Mags King, Managing Photographic Editor, Fairfax Media, AU (read bio)
- Adam Harding of Centre for Contemporary Photography, AU (read bio)
- Anita Totha of Remote Photobooks, NZ (read bio)
- International judge to be announced shortly (read bio)
Due to the small and close knit photobook community in Australia and New Zealand, it is inevitable that some judges have an association with an entry. Judges are required to advise of any associations and are unable to score or comment on these entries. The Judging Chair and Award Coordinator ensure that the judging is fair and not influenced by any association.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
How to enter
1. Register your entry online by 11:59:59pm AEST on 17 December 2018 including the:
2. Submit a physical copy by 17 January 2019 to one of the addresses below.
- Upload of a low-resolution PDF book file (less than 200MB)
- Upload of a cover image in JPEG format (or first page if there is no cover design)
- Payment of an Entry Fee (if required)
- If you experience upload issues click here
The package must be addressed to Photobook Awards c/o Momento Pro and include a copy of the Registration Form.
New Zealand residents
- By Post: PO Box 140, Strawberry Hills NSW 2012
- By Courier: 15-17 Merton St, Zetland NSW 2017
- By Post: PO Box 24 111 Manners St, Wellington 6011
- By Courier: 102-108 Wakefield St, Te Aro, Wellington 6011
- Australian resident: AUD $25.00 inc GST
- New Zealand resident: AUD $24.00 GST not applicable
- Australian or New Zealand resident: No entry fee required
- Must be a publication that focuses on photographic content presented in a visual narrative
- Can be printed via any method or service
- Can be unpublished, self published, trade published or published by an academic or cultural institution
- Does not require an ISBN
- Can include work by one or more photographers
- Must not infringe copyright, breach any laws or violate third party rights
- Must have been published or the design completed between 1 Jan 2017 and 17 Dec 2018
- Must be submitted as a digital PDF file and as a physical copy
- Must not have been entered into previous Australian or New Zealand Photobook Of The Year Awards
- Books will be returned to non-finalists who include a prepaid, self-addressed envelope with their book submission
- Winner and finalist books will remain in the Award archives for public access and exhibition
- We do not accept responsibility for damaged books or books lost in transit
- Must be the photographer or publisher of the book
- Must own the copyright or provide written copyright permission on request
- Must register online, submit a digital file and physical book according to specifications in the How To Enter section
- Must agree to be added to the Awards and Momento Pro email list
- Must grant permission for the book to appear in digital and print promotions of the Awards
- Must indemnify Momento against any and all claims by third parties relating to a violation of intellectual property rights as a result of entering this competition, and bear all costs arising from such a breach, including any damages
Photobook Category Entrant Requirements
- Must be a citizen, permanent resident or registered company in Australia or New Zealand
- Must pay the entry fee
Student Category Entrant Requirements
- Students can enter either the Photobook or Student category but not both
- Must have studied at an Australian or New Zealand institution
- There is no entry fee for the Student category
- Must have published, or completed the design of the photo book, while enrolled as a student between 1 Jan 2017 and 17 Dec 2018 at:
- An Australian or New Zealand university
- An Australian TAFE institute or Registered Training Organisation
- A New Zealand university, Private Training Establishment (PTE) or Institute of Technology & Polytechnics (ITP)
- International students are eligible to enter, provided they meet the criteria above
- Photobook prizes can only be awarded to an entrant of the Photobook category
- Student prizes can only be awarded to an entrant of the Student category
- Finalists will be selected from Photobook and Student category entrants
- Student and Photobook winners are not eligible to receive the $500 Finalist credit
- The People’s Choice award is selected from the twelve finalists, and goes to the book with the most votes from visitors to the Award exhibition
- Finalists will be exhibited in the Award exhibition, catalogue and on the website
- Must be split evenly between photographer and publisher
- The photographer must be the person who physically captured the images
Cash Prize Requirements
- Will only be deposited to an Australian bank account in AUD or a New Zealand bank accounts in NZD
- Winner must confirm bank account details within 30 days of notification
Credit Prize Requirements
- Value is in AUD or NZD depending on the winner's country of residence
- Can only be used for printing work created by the photographer or publisher
- Expires 18 months after written notification
- Is non-transferable, not redeemable for cash, and cannot be combined with any other Momento Pro discount
- Can be used to purchase books, booklets, albums, boxes or stationery in the Momento Pro print-on-demand, standard volume range or an approved custom order
- Winner must register with the Momento Pro service within 30 days to allow for the credit to be added to their account
- Works printed using the credit prize can:
- Only be delivered to Australian or New Zealand addresses
- Can be included in Award and Momento Pro promotions
How do the Awards define a 'photobook'?
A photobook is a publication that focuses on photographic content presented in a visual narrative.
Does the book need to be previously published?
No. The book can be unpublished, self published, trade published, or published via an academic or cultural institution.
Does the book need an ISBN?
No, an International Standard Book Number is not required.
Can the book be published overseas?
Yes, as long as the photographer is an Australian or New Zealand citizen, resident or student at the time of publishing.
What format is required for the digital book file?
A low-resolution PDF less than 200MB. Individual JPEG files will not be accepted.
What if you experience issues uploading your file via the Entry Registration form?
Submit your file via our Hightail account instead, including "ANZPA entry," your name and book title in the Message field, then email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is a physical copy of the book required?
Yes. You must submit a physical book. The book can be printed via any print service or process.
Does the book need to be printed by Momento Pro?
No. It can be printed via any method or service. Should you wish to print a copy with Momento Pro a 40% discount is available for Award entries. Orders must be placed by 5.00pm AEST on 17 December (in Australia) or 5.00pm Wellington time (in New Zealand). Details and due dates here.
Can the book include images by more than one photographer?
Yes. Photobooks including work by multiple photographers are eligible but details of all photographer credits must be entered in to the Entry Form.
Is there an entry fee?
Yes, there is an entry fee for entrants to the Photobook category. There is no entry fee for entrants to the Student category. Entry fee revenue will assist with the administration of the Awards.
Can international students enter?
Yes, if they were enrolled at an Australian or New Zealand institution between 1 Jan 2017 and 17 Dec 2018, and meet the Student Category Entrant requirements.
Can I submit more than one book?
Yes, you can submit up to three books.
Will I receive feedback on my book?
No. Due to the number of entries we’re unable to provide feedback on every entry.
Will my book be returned?
This is an acquisitive award. Books will be returned to non-finalists who include a prepaid, self-addressed envelope with their book submission. Winner and finalist books will remain in the Award archives for public access and exhibition. We also encourage entrants to submit a copy to the Asia Pacific Photobook Archive.
Momento Pro book discount
Entries can be printed via any method or service. Should you wish to print a copy with Momento Pro, we are offering 40% discount on books that are entered into the Awards. This applies to books from our standard Momento Pro book range. Custom orders are also eligible for a discount but a quote is required first. Orders must be placed by phone before 5.00pm AEST on 17 December (in Australia) or 5.00pm Wellington time (in New Zealand), and will be submitted directly to the Awards. Should you wish to view your book prior to submission you will need to order by 10 December and pay for delivery. NZ residents, please visit the New Zealand website instead.
Momento Pro is the proud patron of the Australian and New Zealand Photobook of the Year Awards, and Australia's first and and finest on-demand photobook company since 2004. We produce premium hardcover and softcover books, as well as booklets and personalised stationery, to international award-winning standards and in quantities of one up to 250 copies. We actively support the local photo book community through these Awards, hosting Photobook Reviews and self-publishing workshops, connecting photographers with editors, designers and publishers, and with practical publishing guides. To find out more or ask for advice visit our online homes at momentopro.com.au or momentopro.co.nz.
PhotobookNZ is New Zealand's largest photo book event dedicated to creators, publishers and those who appreciate photography in book form. Launched in 2016, the event is hosted biannually in Wellington, care of PhotoForum and Massey University. The Award ceremony is held in New Zealand biannually to coincide with the Awards. The next event will be hosted in 2020. Find out more at Photobook NZ.
Judging Chair: Heidi Romano
Unless You Will (Australia)
Heidi Romano is an independent artist with a diverse skill set and 15+ years experience in the field of photography. Heidi is a passionate book designer and loves working with artists through all levels of project development. In 2009 she founded UNLESS YOU WILL, an online photography magazine dedicated to showcasing the finest of international visual storytelling. In 2015 she directed the inaugural Photobook Melbourne festival, establishing a new platform for artists, bookmakers and book lovers in Australia.
Teun van der Heijden
Heijdens Karwai (The Netherlands)
Teun is a Dutch photobook designer and co-owner of Heijdens Karwei, graphic design agency in Amsterdam, with wife Sandra van der Doelen. He has design many award-winning photography books including Belgian Autumn by Jan Rosseel, Black Passport by Stanley Greene and Gold Coast by Ying Ang, and run highly regarded workshops with the Reminders Photography Stronghold and the International Centre for Photography. For the last ten years, Heijdens Karwei has designed the annual book for World Press Photos.
Baker Douglas Publishing (New Zealand)
Kriselle Baker is a director of Baker Douglas, a boutique publisher and online retail store specialising in contemporary photography. She has a PhD in Art History from the University of Auckland. Baker Douglas was established in 2013 with the aim of supporting print and digital publications of photography in Aotearoa-New Zealand and the Pacific.
Managing Photographic Editor, Fairfax Media, (Australia)
Mags is a photographic manager and editor with 20 years experience in creative photo editing, art directing, commissioning and producing shoots. For the past eleven years she has managed Fairfax Media's photojournalists, curated the annual Photos 1440 exhibition, and initiated new photographic revenue-generating initiatives. She is a member of the Walkley Advisory Board and judges various photographic awards including Amnesty International, Shoot the Chef, SEPA Emerging Photographer and the Indian Photo Festival.
Centre for Contemporary Photography, (Australia)
Following his training at the Geelong Art Gallery in 1998, Harding spent seven years as Assistant Curator at the Warrnambool Art Gallery before moving to Horsham Regional Art Gallery (HRAG) in 2009 as it Curator, then Director. In December 2017 Harding was appointed Chair of NETS Victoria, guiding the touring of contemporary art practice across Victoria and Australia, and in September 2018 he was appointed Director of the Centre for Contemporary Photography (CCP).
Remote Photobooks, (New Zealand)
anitatotha.com + remotephotobooks.com
Anita Tótha is director of Remote Photobooks, a distributor of select photobooks and photo-related publications from established and emerging photographers, bookmakers and independent publishers in New Zealand. Anita has shown these publications at the NY and LA Artbook fairs, Photobook Melbourne, Melbourne Art Book Fair and Photobook New Zealand. She recently completed her Master of Fine Arts at Whitecliffe College of Arts & Design and has contributed to ArtNews New Zealand, Common Ground Journal, Feature Shoot, Urbanautica, Excerpt Magazine, ProPhotographer Magazine and D-Photo Magazine.